Sunday, November 22, 2009

Twitter: Running the World

One word: Twitter. I can not believe how much I am using the stupid thing. Yeah, I called it stupid. Anyways, Twitter has been taking over my life and I do not know why. Is it the constant exclusive life into Terrell Owens and Alyssa Milano? Is it the sheer selfishness that I want everybody else to know what I am doing at every single moment of my life? I hope not.
I think it is because I realized how great of a social networking tool it is. Makenzie Marineau, newmediamak.wordpress.com, has taught me this. She is an NMC major and she has over 1,000 followers on Twitter. "Are you kidding me?" I asked myself when I saw this.
But then I asked her. She just told me straight up, "I don't know. I guess I am just networking." Then, I realized the true meaning of Twitter. It means different things to different people but to me, that is what it means and it has helped me appreciate the Twitter World that much more.
However, I want to talk about a blog post by Deborah Potter called "Twitter in the Newsroom." This is a perfect example of how Twitter can be used for so many different things. Twitter is being used in the newsroom to break news. That deserves another "are you kidding me?" There are now BreakingTweets, TwitterLocal and CityTweets to update to news stations of the news. Doesn't that sound funny.
To sum this all up, a quote from Patrick O'Brien, the digital development director at WUSA-TV in Washington, DC, says "For instance, if there’s a building collapse, you can search a 5-mile radius where the collapse took place to find anyone who may be twittering updates."

No comments:

Post a Comment