Monday, October 26, 2009

New Media Article Response...Again

I am sorry Pam but I found this article and I had to write about it. It is on 10,000 words and it is called "10 Ways to Improve Online Sports Journalism". Again, I am sorry Pam but I had to do it.
I love sports. Everything I think about, dream about, and I even eat is sports. So it is fitting to choose this article. If the whole "playing golf for a living" thing does not work out, I want to go into journalism either by writing, talking on the radio, or being on TV.
The first of the ten tips is to make it interactive, or to add visual aspects to your piece. This allows the reader to have the imagery wanted by the writer. Next is to map it. In the article it says that some MLB, NBA, and NFL stadiums are mapped on google. I do not know how much this actually helps the reader but it is a nice addition. Maybe if somebody is doing a golf blog, they can tell the reader where the golf is and map out the holes? Just an idea.
The third tip is to blog it. This is pretty self explanatory. Blogging is the new updating tool and everyone is doing it in New Media, so it is a must. The other tips include making a database, making it social, using Twitter (which can be very addicting), making it mobile, making it into a Podcast, "Widgetizing It" (putting little gadgets on the screen for up-to-date scores, for example), and letting the fans decide. I believe these tips are more for the person who wants to be great at sports journalism so I should incorporate all of these suggestions if I really want to do this.
There will not be professors with us our whole lives. At some point, we will all have to graduate and find our own way, including writing a good blog and creating creative ideas. Posts like this one, and other New Media posts around the internet, help everyone with their writing and their New Media understanding. So thanks to blogs and posts like this for helping us.
http://www.10000words.net/2009/06/10-new-media-approaches-to-sports.html

No comments:

Post a Comment